NOTE: If you landed here and are not familiar with our work, please review our homepage, about page, services, and accomplishments before considering applying. Thanks!
Energy Justice Network is currently hiring in Westchester County, NY. We're also looking to hire a part-time grant-writer and a part-time Massachusetts organizer, for which we'll have job postings listed soon. Feel free to reach out to us if you might be interested.
New York Anti-Incineration & Zero Waste Organizer
Energy Justice Network supports grassroots organizing to stop dirty energy and waste industry facilities throughout the U.S., with a focus on preventing and closing waste incinerators.
New York is #1 in the number of trash incinerators in a state, and faces multiple new waste burning threats as well. Waste incineration is the most expensive way to manage waste, polluting our environment more than landfills. Waste incineration also is the most expensive way to make energy, dirtier than coal burning.
We're hiring a full-time organizer to be based in the Hudson Valley region of New York to build community opposition to waste incineration throughout the region, starting with Peekskill. We aim to have this position filled by January 1, 2022.
Hours: 40 Per Week, currently funded for 12 months
Compensation rate: $20 Per Hour
Start date: Flexible - Fall 2021
Qualifications & Expectations:
- Bilingual (Spanish & English)
- 4 years organizing experience (paid or volunteer)
- Passionate about environmental injustice
- Hudson Valley resident within easy driving range of Peekskill
- Valid driver's license and available car
- Proficient in MS Windows and programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Zoom, Google applications
- Skilled and comfortable with public speaking
- Friendly and outgoing demeanor
- Experience in project management, with strong attention to detail
- Able to multitask, manage time, set your own priorities, and meet timelines
- Experience working in rapidly changing environments
- Strong commitment to building a multiracial, cross-class movement
- Flexible schedule, with ability to attend meetings or other events in evenings or weekends when needed
- Schedule meetings, track meeting notes
- Develop a social media presence throughout Westchester County
- Cultivate relationships with allied organizations
- Help develop messaging for the local constituency
- Recruit and manage volunteers
Send a cover letter by email with resume attached and at least three references to apply \at/ energyjustice dot net, with a subject line of "NEW YORK ORGANIZER"